If your dog has diarrhea and you’ve given him or her probiotics to try to get them some relief, you may be wondering how long it takes for probiotics to alleviate diarrhea in dogs.
The answer obviously isn’t going to be the same across the board for all dogs. There are many factors that go into how long diarrhea will last in a dog, as there are numerous reasons for it. Dogs come in all shapes and sizes too, so how long it takes to pass depends on each individual dog.
How Long Will it Take for Probiotics to Help Your Dog’s Diarrhea?
It’s common for diarrhea in dogs to last about seven days. A 2010 study found that probiotics reduced the duration of diarrhea in dogs from seven to four days. (1)
A 2008 study found similar results. (2)
On top of providing relief from diarrhea, probiotics have been found to “enhance intestinal health and improve immune function in dogs”. (3)
In other words, probiotics can most likely reduce the duration of diarrhea in dogs by about 43%. Keep in mind though, that there are a lot of variables to this.
How Long for Probiotics to Alleviate Dogs Diarrhea — Conclusion
After you give your dog probiotics, you can usually expect diarrhea to clear up in about four days. If your dog has chronic diarrhea that won’t go away, you should bring your dog to your veterinarian.
If you’re looking for a good probiotic for dogs, we ranked the top five probiotic dog products on the market here. The best probiotics for dogs we tested was BlueBiology Canine Probiotic.
Interested in learning more about probiotics in dogs? Our other articles on the topic may interest you:
- What Kind of Probiotics are Good for Dogs?
- Can I Give My Dog Probiotics While on Antibiotics?
- Difference Between Prebiotics and Probiotics for Dogs
- Probiotics for Dogs with Diarrhea
- Probiotics for Dogs with IBD
- How to Give Probiotics with Antibiotics for Dogs
- How Much Probiotics for Dogs: What Dosage Should You Give Your Dog?
- How Long Does it Take for Probiotics to Work in Dogs?
- Why Are Probiotics Good for Dogs?
- What do Probiotics do for Dogs?